Dimian & Masterpalo Attorneys at Law understand how confusing it is when in you’ve been in an accident, especially if you’ve sustained an injury. Whether it is a local or highway accident, involves an automobile, bicycle, motorcycle, bus, or as a pedestrian, top personal injury attorneys Steven Dimian and Patrick Masterpalo are there to help you every step of the way.
It’s easy to become overwhelmed at the scene of a car accident or when dealing with all the things that need to be taken care of following an accident, such as insurance companies, hospitals, doctors, your place of work, lost wages and repair shops. Most people are not familiar with the laws and requirements involved in filing an accident claim. For instance, IN NEW JERSEY YOU HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF TIME TO BRING A CLAIM. Dimian & Masterpalo can help guide you through the process and get you the compensation you deserve.
The Top 5 Things To Do After A Car Accident
1. Be Safe – The first thing you should do is make sure you or others are out of harm’s way. It is best not to remove the vehicles before the police come to the scene, however, that’s not always safe to do. Call for medical assistance immediately if you or anyone else is injured.
2. Call The Police – In New Jersey, accidents over $500 in damage MUST be reported to the police. Never leave the scene of the accident. Wait for the police to arrive. The police will take statements from you and the other driver. They will prepare a report that will be available within 10 days of the accident. It is important when filing an injury or property damage claim you have a copy of this report; this is your proof that the accident happened the way you say it happened. Contact your insurance company to inform them about the accident.
3. Take Notes & Pictures – Gather as much information as possible regarding the accident. If you have one, use your cell phone for taking photos of the damage to all vehicles involved. Get the names and numbers of all witnesses to the accident and exchange information with the other driver. But do not discuss fault of the accident with the other driver.
Cooperate with the police fully and carefully detail the facts of the accident, but NEVER admit fault. If the other driver admits fault or apologizes, write or make a mental note of exactly what was said at the scene of the accident.
4. Call A Medical Provider – Often at the scene of an accident, due to an adrenaline rush, many of our clients have said they didn’t feel any pain or discomfort, sometimes for hours or even days after an accident. That’s why it is so important to seek medical treatment immediately.
Your health and getting the proper treatment for any injuries sustained should be your primary concern but getting documentation from a doctor regarding your injuries is important if you plan on pursuing a claim.
5. Review The Police Report Carefully & Consult An Attorney – It is always best to seek legal advice as soon as possible. An attorney can help you go over your police report as well as guide you through talking to insurance agents and filing a claim if that is what you decide to do.
Insurance companies will be calling you to gather as much information as possible. Be careful in speaking with any insurance representative, as everything you say will be recorded. Don’t be tempted by a quick offer to settle. Getting counsel from an experienced auto accident attorney will help you get the financial compensation you deserve.
If you have a questions about your recent New Jersey accident, call Dimian & Masterpalo at (732) 508-9200.
Why Choose Dimian & Masterpalo?
Dimian & Masterpalo Attorneys at Law specializes in accident cases in New Jersey. We have a proven track record dating back to 2012 – helping thousands of people just like you win their case and move forward after sustaining an injury caused by another’s negligence. With 98% of our business coming from auto accident victims, we are expertly equipped to address any and all complicated legal issues your case might present.
We are the best accident lawyers in New Jersey – not only because of our success rate and experience, but also because of how we treat our clients. At Dimian & Masterpalo, our main focus is to assure you get the individual attention and expertise required to receive the justice and compensation you deserve. From the moment of the accident through the entire litigation process, Dimian & Masterpalo are there to advise you every step of the way.
And when you hire Dimian & Masterpalo, you pay nothing upfront. Our fees are only collected if we win your case. If we don’t win, you don’t pay! Contact us for a free consultation 24/7 at (732) 508-9200.
Dimian & Masterpalo is ready to serve you with premiere legal representation through unmatched client service, uncompromised professional integrity, and dedication in the field of law as it pertains to motor vehicle accidents.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I’m in an accident, what should I do?
First, get the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any witnesses, and seek medical attention.
It may be necessary to act fast in order to preserve important evidence, locate a witness, or investigate the scene of the accident or injury.